Looking for recipes for all those Thanksgiving turkey leftovers? You may be tired of the same old turkey soup, but this recipe for turkey tortilla soup in the crock pot is a delicious way to change things up. You will use up the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers and have an easy and inexpensive dinner.
- Also try turkey and corn enchiladas and creamy turkey enchiladas
You can substitute regular frozen corn sautéed with a few Tablespoons of red bell pepper for the Mexican corn. You can find red enchilada sauce at your local grocery store. It may be in the ethnic foods aisle. Red enchilada sauce is sold at Save-A-Lot and PriceRite, so check your local store to see if they carry it.
Turkey tortilla soup in the crock pot recipe
Ingredients for turkey tortilla soup:
- 3 cups cooked, shredded turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or turkey broth (or 1 ½ cups homemade chicken stock)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 bag or can (10 ounces) Mexican corn, thawed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- ¾ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 flour or corn tortillas (either 8-inch or 10-inch)
- Shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese
- Sour cream and guacamole or thinly sliced avocado (optional)
How to make turkey tortilla soup in the crock pot:
- In crock pot or slow cooker, combine shredded turkey, diced tomatoes with liquid, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies and garlic. Add water, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook LOW 6 to 8 hours. The last 30 minutes of cooking stir in thawed, drained corn.
- To prepare tortilla strips:
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas with vegetable oil.
- Cut tortillas into strips approximately 2-inch by ½-inch. Spread tortilla strips onto baking sheet. Bake the tortillas, turning occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips, cilantro and grated sharp cheddar cheese over soup. Put a dab of sour cream, guacamole or thinly sliced avocado on top if desired. Serve immediately.
Yield: about 4 servings
Never miss another frugal living tip, any frugal food news, recipes or cooking tips again! Subscribe to Rachael Monaco Frugal Living Examiner and receive FREE notification Every time something new is published. You can also subscribe to Rachael Monaco Cooking Examiner for the latest food news and recipes.
Follow Rachael Monaco on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Google+
©Rachael Monaco All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first two sentences may be reposted with a link back to the original article.