Your Beatles calendar for the week:
Ringo “Peace & Love” exhibit: Continues at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles through March.
“Good Ol’ Freda” is now out on DVD and Blu-ray and is also on Netflix. Screening information at the film website at http://www.goodolfreda.com.
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website: http://www.fab4nyctours.wordpress.com/.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax’s A Magical History Tour. Website: http://www.amagicalhistorytour.com.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website: http://www.beatleguide.com.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter: http://www.beatlesinlondon.com.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://bit.ly/HRmbk4
- 1964: The Tribute: Jan. 17: Frederick, MD. Jan. 18: Woonsocket, R.I. Info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- The Fab Four: Jan. 16: Santa Ynez, CA. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles: Jan. 13: Clearwater FL. Jan. 14: Gainesville, FL. Jan. 15: Melbourne, FL. Jan. 17: New Orleans. Feb. 4: Des Moines, IA. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- Laurence Juber: Feb. 5-9: Hard Rock Hotel, Cancun, Mexico. More info: http://www.laurencejuber.com.
- The Fab Faux: Feb. 15: Albany, N.Y. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- Bootleg Beatles: Jan. 16-17: The Philippines. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Creme Tangerine: Jan. 25: Sixth Annual Seattle Beatles Rooftop Day. http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times/ .
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King’s, New York City.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- British Invasion 2014, Feb. 5-10, 2014, Hard Rock Rivera Maya Hotel, Cancun, Mexico.
- NYC Fab 50, Feb. 6-9, 2014, various locations, New York City. Website: www.nycfab50.com
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Feb. 7-9, 2014, Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York City. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- Magical History Tour toLiverpool and London Aug. 17-24, 2014. Information: http://www.liverpooltours.com/.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Aug. 15-17, 2014, Chicago. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Oct. 10-12, 2014, Airport Marriott, Los Angeles. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
Jan. 16, 1980: Paul McCartney arrested for drug possession in Japan.
Beatles chart news:
- On Billboard charts, “On Air: Live at the BBC, Volume 2” is at #104, down from #84 last week. “NEW” is at #163, down from #92. “1” is at #174, up from #187.
50 years ago this week on the British charts:
- Singles: The Beatles’ “I Want to Hold Your Hand” is still #1 for week of 1-11-64. “She Loves You” drops 2 to #5. “I’ll Keep You Satisfied” by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas drops from #21 to #22. “I’m in Love” by the Fourmost at #31, up one from last week.
- Albums: “With the Beatles” and “Please Please Me” stay at #1 and #2. “Listen to Billy J. Kramer” at #12.
Singles: “There I’ve Said It Again” still #1. “I Want to Hold Your Hand” enters Cashbox chart at 80.
Last week’s top Beatles stories:
- Lineups announced for three ‘Across the Universe’ Beatles anniversary shows
- Beatles friends to discuss group’s first U.S. visit to kick off anniversary week
- Singer to open Beatles tribute as he did for Fabs’ show 50 years ago
- In a play anyway: Beatles find shows Paul McCartney acting in 1960 school show
- Seattle’s Crème Tangerine plans sixth annual Beatles Rooftop Day Concert
- Star-studded ‘America Celebrates the Beatles’ gala set for Feb. 8
- Not so fast: Beatles’ reps say Paul-Ringo Letterman reunion not a sure thing
- Paul McCartney pays emotional tribute to ‘my great hero’ Phil Everly
- Apollo Theater Beatles tribute tickets to go on sale; special guest added
- Beatle news briefs: Ringo ‘Powerpuff’ preview; ‘Dear Prudence’ at Fest; CD alert
- Beatles ‘U.S. Albums” set can now be pre-ordered on iTunes
- Beatle news briefs: Eurythmics reunite for Beatles tribute; father-and-son book
- Abbey Road on the River to re-enact Beatles’ ‘Ed Sullivan Show’
- Cover art for third volume in the John Lennon biography series announced
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, myself and Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” discuss the latest Beatles news topics. The latest show on Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com, is our predictions for 2014. “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturday and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Every Little Thing”: This week’s show will include a set of Beatles/solo demos. The show airs this Wednesday from 8-10pm (est) on 88.7 WNHU, West Haven, CT, and can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. More info at www.kenmichaelsradio.com.
- .“Fab 4 Free 4 All”: Latest show: “The Beatles-Clapton Connection”. Available on iTunes and at www.Fab4Free4all.com.
- “Beatle Brunch”: Jan. 5: The Beatle year in review. Website: http://www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: Weekly hour of John Lennon music and history hosted by Jude Southerland Kessler. 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- “Magical Mystery Tour”: Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Saturdays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcc.edu%2Fradio%2FPages…
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Steve (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: Jan. 12: Tributes to Phil Everly, Ringo Powerpuff tribute, anniversary of “Yellow Submarine” soundtrack.. Show website.
- “Chris Carter’s ‘British Invasion’: Jan. 19: Salute to British bass players. Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday.
- “Chris Carter’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: On KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. PT Sunday. Website.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “I’ve Got a Beatles Podcast”: Review of “On Air: Live at the BBC, Volume 2.” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- “Breakfast With the Beatles”: 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- Now and Then”: An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station’s frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “On the Beat”: Wonderful show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the ’60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- “Sounds of the Sixties”: Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the ’60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- “Beatlesongs”: Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: The show airs from 7 to 9 a.m. ET Sundays on WMGK-FM 102.9 and 7-9 a.m. PT on KSLX-FM 100.7 in Phoenix.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=51729
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- “Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen”: More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://www.quaywestonline.co.uk/.
Beatles radio stations:
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
Have a Beatles event you’d like added here? Send it to email@example.com with The Week Ahead in the subject.
We love to write about the Beatles and have been doing it since our time at a major metropolitan newspaper. Subscribe at this link and get addicted to our exclusive original stories and interviews and the most complete reporting about the Beatles anywhere in all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. You can subscribe through the button on this page and spread the word about us. And be sure to check out our Amazon.com “That’s What I Want” Beatles store. We are also the author of the ebook “Meet a Monkee: Davy Jones.”
Copyright Steve. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don’t miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on iTunes and Podbean.com.