God never intended work to be a drudgery or a chore or the center of life. God worked and created the world and everything contained there in, then He rested. Man was to use God’s example and use work in a God honoring way. As was stated in an earlier piece, “but it was sin which destroyed God’s original concept of work.”
Now man works to serve his or her own selfish ambitions and desires. Work has become a tool to seek a money and power. Christian’s however, are called to a higher standard when it comes to work, whether as an employee or as an employer.
- Proverbs 12:11, “Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense.” (NIV)
- Proverbs 14:23, “All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.” (NIV)
- Proverbs 18:9, “One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.” (NIV)
These are just three of the many Bible verses detail how Christians are to be hard workers and not slackers or robbers of time while on the job. Christian bosses are to be honest and fair and not be hard taskmasters never frustrating who bringing their employees to anger.
Here are seven aspects of work done God’s way.
- Pray, “Pray without ceasing,” – 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV). Bosses are are to pray for there workers, likewise workers are to pray for their bosses and co-workers.
- Faith, “Have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”-Matthew 17:20 (NIV). No matter the job, every boss or worker must have faith God has put them right where they belong and believe they are there for a God given purpose.
- Prepare, “Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest,” – Proverbs 6:6-8 (ESV). Be prepared for whatever may come at work. Look for every opportunity to shine for the Lord’s sake.
- Work Harder, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” – Colossians 3:23 (ESV). This verse is kind of self explanatory. Christians are to work harder then they have worked before, because ultimately they are working for God not human masters.
- Depend, “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually,” – Psalm 104:4 (ESV). In the work world as well as life depend on the Lord and His strength continually to make it through.
- Give, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31 (ESV). Make sure to give God all the glory for any successes at work, take to Him all the problems at work.
- Live, “A faithful man will abound with blessings, but whoever hastens to be rich will not go unpunished,” Proverbs 28:20 (ESV). Working God’s way means a person must first live God’s way. As this verse says “a faithful man” or woman of God will abound with blessings as well as be a blessing for all those around them.
These are five of the basics of work done God’s way. The main factor though is seeking and living for God.