When you work in the service field, apart of the service experience is being courteous, respectful, and helpful, even when those behaviors aren’t exhibited by your customers. And, although customers may not always be right, it’s their perception of good service that matters and it’s how they’re being treated that’s important to them. You only succeed at providing exceptional service when your customers believe they’ve received exceptional service. That also means how you say it.
According to Renee Evenson, in her study on customer service, powerful phrases make the difference. For example, here are two different scenario’s of greetings from the customer’s perception:
- Scenario one with regular Phrase: You walk into a store and spot a clerk behind the counter. She looks at you, and asks in a bored tone, ‘Do you need anything?’ You can’t help but wonder why she bothered asking.
- Scenario two with ‘Powerful Phrase’ of Welcome: You walk into a store and spot a clerk behind the counter. She looks at you, smiles, and enthusiastically says, ‘Hi! How are you?’ You reply, ‘I’m doing great, thanks.’ She smiles, nods, and asks, ‘How may I help you today?’ You return the smile, feeling comfortable that you came into this store.
‘Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless’ –
Activerain.com gives 10 powerful phrases for great customer service:
- The 10 most important words-‘I apologize for the mistake. Let me make it right.’ First, acknowledge the problem by simply listening to your customers (we all want someone to listen to us). Second, apologize. Lastly, correctly fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- The 9 most important words-‘Thank you for your business. Please come back again.’ Always thank your customers for their business. This is also a great time to ask for referrals.
- The 8 most important words-‘I’m not positive, but I will find out.’ Even the best of us don’t know everything. So, if you don’t know something, find out as soon as possible.
- The 7 most important words-‘What else may I do for you?’ See what else you may do to go the extra mile.
- The 6 most important words-‘What is most convenient for you?’ As customers, we are always happy to here that someone is looking out for us.
- The 5 most important words-‘How may I assist you?’ This questions reinforces to your customers that you are here for them.
- The 4 most important words-‘How did we do?’ Always ask for feedback. You will not know exactly how you did, unless you ask.
- The 3 most important words-‘Glad you’re here!’ Customers love to feel welcome and are more likely to return. Return customers are great!
- The 2 most important words-‘Thank you.’ I think we all knew this one. Simple, yet very effective.
- The MOST important word-‘Yes.’ Customer all love to here, yes. Become a yes person.