The Paleo diet and the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet were among the most popular diets of 2013 based on Google searches.
The two diets have been hailed for producing rapid weight loss without deprivation, which is why celebrities and weight-loss experts alike have embraced these low-carb eating plans.
The 10 most Googled diets of 2013 cover a wide range of eating plans:
1. Paleo diet. The Paleo diet emphasizes high-quality animal proteins, fats (including healthy saturated fats), vegetables and fruits, and excludes gluten, sugar, dairy, legumes, starches, alcohol and processed foods. NBA superstars Kobe Bryant and Ray Allen are followers of the Paleo diet, as is actor Kellan Lutz.
2. Juice cleanse diet. This diet basically involves not eating food and following a juice fast for several days at a time. It’s typically done to lose weight quickly, but has been criticized for producing mostly water-weight loss and rebound weight gain once dieters resume normal eating. Gwyneth Paltrow does regular juice fasts that last up to five days at a time.
3. Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet emphasizes polyunsaturated fats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, beans and seeds. Brooke Burket Charvet is a longtime follower, and has credited it for her rapid post-baby weight loss and hot bikini body at 43.
4. Master Cleanse diet. The Master Cleanse consists of not eating food and consuming only a cocktail of water, lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Beyonce lost 20 pounds in two weeks on the Master Cleanse in 2006 for a film role but admitted it was hard to stick to.
5. Ketogenic diet. This low carb, high-fat, moderate-protein diet emphasizes eating mostly unprocessed fats like grass-fed butter, animal fats, olive oil and nuts, and eschews sugar and most carbs. The ketogenic diet has been hailed by medical experts for its ability to produce rapid weight loss, prevent or reverse epilepsy, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and starve cancer cells.
Kim Kardashian followed a ketogenic-style Atkins diet to lose 56 pounds just six months after giving birth to daughter North. She limited her carb intake to less than 60 net grams a day to accelerate weight loss.
6. Okinawa diet. The Okinawa diet emphasizes lots of fresh vegetables, tofu, whole grains and fatty fish and is low in saturated fat and sugar.
7. Omnivore diet. This is a diet on which you eat everything. P90X creator Tony Horton follows the omnivore diet after having tried the vegan diet.
8. Fruitarian diet. This is a diet on which you eat mostly fruit. Ashton Kutcher lost 18 pounds and was hospitalized after following the fruitarian diet to play Apple CEO Steve Jobs (who was a fruitarian during his later years).
9. Pescetarian diet. Pescetarians are vegetarians who eat fish.
10. Flexitarian diet. This diet is for “casual vegetarians” who eat a mostly plant-based diet but occasionally eat fish or chicken.