Pancakes are a great morning breakfast food that everyone enjoys. Even though they take hardly any time to prepare they are rarely served during weekdays. This recipe can be prepared the night before if you have time in the morning to cook up some pancakes and if not they will delight everyone on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The smell of homemade pancakes cooking will have the whole family leaping out of bed and rushing to the kitchen to eat. This recipe has a healthy kick to them that you won’t find in a box mix at the supermarket.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of buttermilk powder
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of dried orange peel
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of sliced and toasted almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- Mix together the flour, buttermilk powder, oats, sugar baking powder and soda, orange peel and cinnamon together until the oats are completely ground up.
- Then remove the missing container and add the eggs, water and oil and mix until the batter is the right consistency for pouring.
- Fold in the raisins and almonds.
- Pour the batter onto a buttered or lightly sprayed hot griddle and cook pancakes until the tops get bubbly.
- Once the tops show lots of bubbles it is time to flip the pancakes over and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove cooked pancakes from griddle and place 4 pancakes each on 4 plates.
- Top pancakes with jam, jelly, peanut butter, syrup or fruit.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Jackson residents can shop at any of these local grocery stores: Pick’n Save or Wal-mart for all the ingredients needed for this recipe.
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
You can also follow Beverly on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner
Healthy Living Examiner
Jackson Celebrity Examiner
Mobile Holidays Examiner