According to a Dec. 8 post from MMA Fighting, hard-hitting knockout artist Lauren Murphy says she would happily grant Miriam Nakamoto a rematch after their Invicta FC 7 fight ended in unfortunate fashion.
Nakamoto and Murphy went toe-to-toe for three rounds, before the latter went down with a knee injury that forced the fight to be stopped early in the fourth frame.
“If she wants a rematch I’ll give it to her, I don’t think anyone wanted to see it that way,” said Murphy (8-0). “I’m going to go home the champion and work even harder. I saw her nose was bloody and I tasted it when it got in my mouth. Nothing gets me more excited for a fight than two people beating the s— out of each other.”
In other Invicta FC action, Tecia Torres earned a lopsided decision victory over No. 5-ranked Felice Herrig.
“What shocked me was total domination,” Torres (4-0) said, when asked what surprised her about the fight against Herrig. “Felice was my idol. I looked up to her when she was kickboxing, everything came together you know, it was an honor tonight, everything keeps getting better and better.”
Following the fight, Invicta FC strawweight champ Carla Esparza called out Torres.
Also on the Invicta FC 7 main card, Joanne Calderwood defeated Katja Katkaanpaa.
“Katja was tough out there,” Calderood said. “I just say whoever Invicta puts in front of me, I’ll leave it up to them.”
Invicta FC 7 was headlined by a tilt between flyweight champ Barb Honchak and California striker Leslie Smith.
Honchak reigned supreme after five rounds of exciting standup action.
“It was a great fight,” Honchak said of her first title defense. “I felt we had a great striking battle.”
Here’s a look at the full Invicta FC 7 results:
- Barb Honchak def. Leslie Smith via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46) – to retain flyweight title
- Lauren Murphy def. Miriam Nakamoto via TKO (injury) – Round 4, 0:23 – for inaugural bantamweight title
- Tecia Torres def. Felice Herrig via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joanne Calderwood def. Katja Kankaanpaa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julia Budd def. Charmaine Tweet via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Vanessa Porto def. Zoila Frausto Gurgel via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tonya Evinger def. Sarah D’Alelio via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nina Ansaroff def. Munah Holland via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:54