Yesterday’s episode of King of the Nerds begins with a Lord of the Rings parody, a fellowship of the nerds that starts with the downfall of last season’s winner, Celeste. Which is good, because Celeste should never have won last season. The team gets divided up into pairs, but because there was a twist last time (being picked last gave that contestant a special advantage), there’s a promise of a “meta-twist.” And our contestants:
THE MIDAS TOUCH ATTACK
- Zachary Storch (yellow team captain): One of the top world of warcraft players “on the planet”
- Jack Hou: Bioengineer, fencer, and chess champion who also happens to rap.
- Josh Wittenkeller: Pokemon Master
- Mary Kate Smith: Studying aerospace engineering, who is also a bronie
- Kelsey Syers: A Japaneseophile, she also speaks Chinese and Spanish. She gets to pick who is banished from Nerdvana since she was left out from the initial selection. Kelsey picks Nicole, but there’s a twist…
THE TITANS OF RIGEL
- Chris Jackson (purple team captain): Mechanical engineer
- Katie Correll: Roboticist puppeteer who is currently an intern at Sesame Street.
- Brian Davidson: A self proclaimed bookworm who looks a bit hobbit-like.
- Xander Jeanneret: A gaymer (gay gamer), who is also a LARPer, a counter tenor, and a drama nerd.
- Kayla LaFrance: Ice hockey player with a masters in space studies.
- Nicole Evans: Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, drum major, who thinks waaay too much of her “secret advantage” of being a chemist. In a double twist, Nicole gets to choose the winning team. She picks yellow, and then goes after Kelsey.
Chris faces off against Kelsey in a game called Nerdditch. After correctly answering a fantasy-based question, the contestant has an opportunity to fly on a broom down a course while attempting to throw vials of potion into cauldrons of varying point value. The nerd with the highest number of points at the end of five rounds is the winner.
Question #1: Which of these is NOT a type of ball used in Quidditch.
- Nimbus (answer) (C) (K)
Kelsey has six potion vials but only uses one, getting no points.
Chris nets 100 points.
Question #2: According to Miracle Max in the Princess Bride, what is the difference between “all dead” and “mostly dead.”
- slightly alive (answer)
- usually permanent
- less likely to smell (K)
- alive enough to work with (C)
Question #3: In the Fellowship of the Ring, the bow Galadrial gives to Legolas is strung with elf hair.
- True (answer) (K)
- False (C)
Kelsey misses everything
Question #4: Which of these is NOT a title that has been held by Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones?
- Hand of the King
- Warden of the West (C)
- Lord of Casterly Rock
- Knight of the King’s Guard (answer) (K)
Kelsey finally remembers to use all the potions and nets 350 points.
Question #5: Which of these items is NOT required for a first-year student at Hogwarts.
- Pointed Hat
- Owl (Answer) (C) (K)
- Magical Theory
Chris manages to get the 500 cauldron, with a grand total of 600 points. Kelsey only manages another 100 points and loses.
Kelsey goes out by being stopped by a giant Godzilla foot. Goodbye Kelsey, you unfortunately never had a chance.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an Examiner and get paid to write today!